Saturday 25 October 2014

A success story..





I got an e-mail from Access Bank in '10 and was told to be at Ikeja for an aptitude test. Presently, I have no idea how the tests are done. But in '10, we were so many and I remember I had no space to sit. It was a stuffy place, and I had my mind set that the number of persons who were in for the test were looking so brilliant, and I had no chance of being called for the interview. I almost walked out of the room, but something asked me to stay behind.
We were about 400. I sat down and waited for the question paper to be given to me. I gazed around and saw some praying, some asking for extra pencils, in hope that they passed the test. Sitting close to me were two persons who I knew back from school. Though we were not close then, but the test had a reason for bringing us together. We exchanged greetings, and wished ourselves good luck. The question papers were shared round and I talked to God silently and said "if this is mine, it will be mine".  And I opened the question paper, to my surprise, the question paper happened to be the answer sheet. If you were the one, what would you have done?

I am good at statistics/mathematics, and I thought since I was really good, there was no use working with the answer sheet. And so, I gave the answer sheet to the person close to me. Well, I also did it because he wasn't good at it, and since I was seated close to where the invigilator passes through, it was of no use to me. But he relayed the answers to me as I worked through with it. Immediately, I knew the job was mine. But I forgot we had to go through 3 more stages of interviews even if I had passed the test.  Well, the test was done, handed my paper to the man in charge and walked out of the room. I had other businesses to attend to.

2 weeks later, I was called for an interview. Oh, I don't wear suits, and so I borrowed a suit from my friend. And out of the 400 of us, 7 of us were called. I got in and I met a two man panel who looked at my resume and asked me to say some few things about me. I guessed they were really stressed that day and so I engaged in a conversation with them. I asked them how they were and told them how stressed they were looking. And they liked the fact I was bold enough to ask them questions. The interview didn't last 4 minutes and immediately I stepped off the elevator, I was called to be available for the next stage with the Regional Manager.

Oh dear, who will I borrow a suit from now. Well, I got a suit, not going to share how that came about, but it wasn't a good experience. I was late for the interview, but glad I was there on time. I found the same set of persons I met at the first interview, and just as I was about to sit, Mr Ken, and I was like, YES, that is me. I was taken into a beautiful looking office and the Regional Manager was a lady, actually looking really young, and beautiful. She asked me to sit and I did. And she looked at my resume where the remarks of the first interview were done and also my test results. And this was how it all went.

Regional Manager: You had one of the best result, how was it for you?

Me: It was okay, I didn't prepare for it, I just did what I could, wrote what I knew, and I just hoped it came out right (Remember the answer sheet was all mine)

Regional Manager: Well, you seem proud of yourself. You have a good degree from a well-known University. Did you buy your way out?

Me: NO Ma, I had some laugh and said, If I bought my way out of school, I am sure I wouldn't have had such a good grade.

Regional Manager: Tell me about you!!!

Me: I remember saying some few things and making her laugh as well.

Regional Manager: Who is your role model?

Me: I mentioned Ben Carson, and told her about how Ben Carson was really dull as a kid, just like I was, and how he was challenged with life's issue. He came out the best and all, and bla bla, I am sure we know the story. And when she was about to talk, I then said, he was in Nigeria last 2 weeks and I asked if she didn't know about it.

Regional Manager: She said, " I don't even know him and have never heard of him".. Tell me more

Me: She asked me to spell his name and I did. And I told her, Pastor Oyedepo was the one who invited him. It wasn't an open invitation as he wanted Ben Carson to give a speech to his students.

Regional Manager: What are your values?

Me: Well, when it got to this question, I was really not prepared, but then I shared a story with her. And told her my values. Well, the story brought tears to my eyes, but in that story, I explained it all.  Oh, she also had tears running down her eyes as well. But as a professional, she wiped them off. I wished I could just hug her. Lol..

Regional Manager: Okay, do you know about our stock and bond?

Me: NO MA.

Regional Manager: She told me about the stock and bond, and said you don't need to come for the final interview, you will be called and you will be informed when to start.

Me: I felt proud and thanked her.

Some weeks later, I was called to start work at a certain time, but I didn't go because of their bond. They talked about their extensive training and how people gain ideas, leave their organisation and impact knowledge to other organisations. And so, I was told, if I have to work there, I will be there for 2 years, but if I do leave before 2 years, I will have to pay 2 million Naira to the organisation.  I declined and got another job at a better organisation that same week.

"You can do it, as I have. I am a nobody, but then we all can become somebody by helping each other".

That's my story.
Signed: Ken...

No comments:

Post a Comment