Saturday 13 December 2014

Resumes are over-rated



My resume tells a lot, my resume gives a summary of what you want to know about a position that I pretend not to want, but only for the means of livelihood. My resume isn't what I am about, my resume can't describe who I am, it can't describe what I am capable of doing, because what was written are lies. My resume is sent to an organisation, and a HR person who doesn't like his job, but only there as his means of livelihood, may look at my resume or not, either because he has read so many, or either because he sees my name and had a bad experience with that particular name in the past. I find it a challenge to cooperate in a society where it is considered moral to critique a resume yet immoral to critique morality.

My first interview, I was called into this organisation and I was asked for my resume and I handed him a memory card. He was shocked, he inserted the memory card and went through it. He smiled and said what he needed was a documented resume just like what everyone does, and that he would need someone who had worked at large corporations, those who have had repeated jobs, those who have had experiences from different aspects of been a hardworking person, to an administration officer and then to a politician. I asked for my memory card and walked away with no words.

Who is willing to be satisfied with a job that expresses his limitations? I have been unsuccessful because I have remained an actor, a writer, an artist changing my resumes to the best of someone who doesn't engage in reading, or wanting to know what I am about. My resume tells a lot about my past, how I am able to benefit the organisation depends on my cover letter which tells more about the future, but in depending on resume to hire, skills can always be taught, they can always be bought, and not attitude, never attitude. In my world of resume, I see it as an over-rated ability of one to engage in an organisation that focuses on the means of livelihood, it is an entrapment of doing what one doesn't care about, like dealing with a meaningless problem. In learning to make a life, I would rather choose not to have a resume as these days, it focuses more on making a living.  In my capability of being smart and capturing minds, I choose not to use a resume, I choose to be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment