Friday 31 October 2014

Your music, Our genre....



Music has always been something we love, it has impacted our lives in a whole different way. The musicians, the artists, the writers, the composers have blended in and understood the market, well, so we think. But the question is, do some of these artists actually follow their dreams, or do they follow what the market wants?


IYANYA: The well-known 'Kukere' personality who gave us a different type of dance moves, showcasing his muscular packs for ladies to die for, oh, not forgetting the men who also will love to bite those six packs. But sincerely, what was Iyanya's dream. How did Wikipedia summaries who he was in the past, and now. "Wikipedia" described his genre as R&B, and I listened to some of his songs from 2009 in his album titled "My Story". At the end of this song, he even said THANK YOU. Indirectly saying, thank you for listening, please buy the album (just kidding) Well, listen to the song if you don't remember.  On Youtube, it had just 14 thousand views



2012/2013, Wikipedia noted that the 'Kukere' song went global particularly in Nigeria, Ghana, and the UK. Well, that is totally right. But is that all they think it is. "Kukere" went global, I mean, GLOBAL. I visited a Kenyan club, and when Kukere was played, you needed to see the ladies, they surrounded me like I was "Iyanya", too bad they left when they realized I had just one-pack. Well, listen to the song for yourself and see the difference. On Youtube, it had over 8 million views.



Terry G: Sad Wikipedia didn't give a bibliography of this particular and peculiar artist. Terry G as I will say is one impact we have had in the music industry for a while now. But did he actually start in that manner? Don't think so. Terry G started his music career as an R & B artist. It's sad I don't have any of his songs, but he had an album which was a full R&B packaged songs mostly about love, you know. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard his deep voice singing about love. My cousin was also in the studio during that time and he did a track with the Terry G himself, and oh, it never got into limelight. I am sure my cousin bought one, his friends borrowed one of the albums he bought to listen and he gave up his R & B career. He became a different person entirely, well, only to be showcased on television, and he did what the music industry wanted. You can view some of his craziest videos ever.  It had a part one and part two, both songs sounded extremely good.




Audience: I can't say what the audience want. But does the AUDIENCE define the genre for the artists? Do they shape the musicians in a different manner that they do not dream of doing? Are we saying our musicians are both actors and artists at the same time, whose dreams have been changed by the industry or audience portraying what genre they didn't wish for? Well, these are just two examples of the many artists whose genre type of music has been changed because it never went into limelight. More will be coming up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment