Tuesday 28 October 2014

#Being self made#



Pride goes before a fall, but how many persons have fallen with the pride which they swallow? Hakeem claims he is a self made millionaire and lives a life of pride. He tells his story about how he made it himself. And I wonder, how people make it themselves? Is it possible for someone to be successful with no help? Is it possible for someone to be successful living in hell on earth all by themselves? I listened to Hakeem's speech one this day, and he started thus.


'I (Hakeem) own over 20 companies in Africa I employ over 800 -2,000 persons yearly. I discovered my talent when I was really young, and all I wanted to do was own companies, employ people, and give them a reason to be happy. I believe in dreams, and I always dream. And one day, my dream has become my vision through which many persons believe in. I discovered that farming has always been my dream. I started with my "inherited family farm", where my father didn't grow crops in a large way as he was supposed to. He passed on when I was 14yrs of age, and I didn't learn a thing from him. I grew through a difficult path and made my path a successful ride. Cassava was what I started with, and from my thought, I discovered how one can breed flour out of these. I exported flour to different African countries, and became an integral part of farming in the country. It all started with a dream, and it has become a reality. In my tough years, I learned that there was nothing I couldn't achieve, and I did it. I became my self made person'

This was just a summary of his speech, and he sounded like the proud man we all know, Donald Trump.I was not given the opportunity to ask questions. Inspirational speakers sometimes annoy me, and I tend to find a true inspirational speaker in this cold world who would come on stage and share the truth. In understanding the myth of one being a self made man, one need to understand the network of friends they may have come across in life. And these proud people do not seem to mention these persons who have either helped, advised, or put them through their misery. Being self made, is a rather proud and selfish statement, which comes with a rather poor view, and for the quote, "No progress is made without some sort of collaboration", is what we should live by.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your views...it is true that only a few speakers actually acknowledge the assistance they have received from third parties and it goes to show how most people become disillusioned after they acquire wealth...on a daily basis, even the small things people do for others are easily forgotten, so i bet when it comes to the big things,the sitaution is even worse off...

    ReplyDelete